Re: gworkspace / clang / libobjc2 hang problem

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: gworkspace / clang / libobjc2 hang problem
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 19:39:03 +0100

Hi,

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
Well, I looked at the code and it seemed to be that the call to the -winRect
method is  being sent to a file operation and, presumably, the file operation
is a proxy to an object in another thread/process.  That seems to match what
David said.  I wonder if this is an issue with invocations that we could fix
some way?
Anyway, I tried changing that method from -(NSRect)winRect to
-(void)getWinRect:(NSRect*)rptr./t

You could try that out to see if it helps (or revert the change if it doesn't).
it does not help, however it looks that the patch makes anyway sense because it is fragile to get a NSRect back from a proxy? (I suppose this is true for all structs then?)

Actuall, if I put a NSLog in getWinRect, it does't even get called (and it shouldn't, if there are no outstanding file ops) and yet GWorkspace hangs.

So perhaps I have a more general problem: with current base/gui/libobjc2 I get a hang, but it is not that specific function returning a rect.

I made rectForFileOpWindow return a NSZeroRect directly, to cut out that source of trouble for now, yet I still have the problem.

Can actually someone reproduce this or does it happen only to me?

Riccardo