Re: Wondering if ~/GNUstep shouldn't be ~/.GNUstep (i.e. hidden..)

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Wondering if ~/GNUstep shouldn't be ~/.GNUstep (i.e. hidden..)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 15:57:09 -0500

Stefan,

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM, Stefan <stefanbidi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I think we should try to conform a little more to the
> freedesktop.org XDG directory structure
> (http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html). In
> particular, I think we should put defaults in ~/.config or $XDG_CONFIG_HOME
> directory.
>
> Now that GNUstep uses separate defaults files, we can just dump the files
> directly there.
>
> If this were the case, we could simple move the ~/GNUstep directory structure
> to ~/ since it would only exist if somebody installed something to the HOME
> domain.
>
> Anyway, it's just a thought.
>
> Stef

If you look at the bug, part of the issue is that people who don't
know that the tool they are using utilizes GNUstep are upset because
it creates a "GNUstep" folder in the home directory.   I kind of agree
with this sentiment as I really don't like tools setting up
directories directly in my home directory either so I can see where
they're coming from.

With respect to freedesktop, are you suggesting something akin to:

~./config/GNUstep/...

Is that what you have in mind?

GC

--