Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?

From: Luboš Doležel
Subject: Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 22:55:13 +0100

On 10/27/2014 10:04 PM, Asiga Nael wrote:
> Btw, nobody suggested Darwin. It's open-source, and AFAIK it supports
> fat binaries natively (I don't think fat binaries are an OSX
> addition, they must be in Darwin already). Maybe it can even mount
> DMGs natively (I don't know if DMG are a Darwin or an OSX thing).
> Regarding app bundles, that's a desktop thing, not an OS thing, so
> that can be done from GNUstep. So, I tend to believe Darwin with
> GNUstep would have every feature I wish to have in my everyday OS.
>
> And, btw, PureDarwin, which seems to be an easy-to-install Darwin
> distribution, supports MacPorts natively. Given that GNUstep is
> supported in MacPorts, this means maybe you can have Darwin+GNUstep
> working today (there're GNUstep screenshots at the PureDarwin
> website).
>
> Is there any reason for being cautious about Darwin?
>
> asiga

Darwin = XNU + userspace (partially taken from GNU)

XNU = Mach kernel with BSD stuff added, twisted into a mixture, where
some of the Mach stuff is broken and some of the BSD stuff is broken as
well.

You can't even boot a functional Darwin system without closed source
drivers from Apple.

So as long as you're looking for a "desktop", there is no reason to
bother about the underlying kernel. And Darwin is NOT a good choice of a
kernel at all.

--
Luboš Doležel