Re: Copyright assignment requirement

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Copyright assignment requirement
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 12:01:35 +0100

For the BERI Open Systems CIC we've followed the Apache model of requiring a
contributors agreement that doesn't assign copyright, but does permit
relicensing of the code and grants irrevocable sublicenseable permission to do
so.

For FreeBSD, we are considering introducing a similar agreement.  Even though
the project is permissively licensed and there is little reason to want to
change the meaning of the license, we do want to change the text of quiet a few
files where the wording is subtly different from the approved form (mostly in
the disclaimer of warranty).

My copyright assignment would not be enforceable by the FSF in court, because
the paperwork says that they will pay me one dollar in exchange for the
copyright and the did not.  Sufficiently long has passed that it would be easy
to argue that they acted in bad faith.  If they've done the same with everyone
else, then we gain absolutely nothing from the copyright assignment, because
any developer who actually wanted to contest decisions made by the project
could do so easily.

The FSF has used the copyright grants to change the license of code from GPLv2
or later to GPLv3 or later, which makes some people quite uncomfortable - who
knows what GPLv4 will have in it?  A lot of the companies I work with have a
no-GPLv3-code-in-the-door policy (and GPLv3 is not one of the licenses
acceptable by the grant on which I'm currently funded), which means that I'm
unable to use GNUstep for much that's work-related.

David