Re: dpkg not found

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: dpkg not found
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 00:27:16 +0100

Whoops. This sounds like it's my mistake while trying to detect version of gnustep-make on the machine, to generate dependencies for binary Debian packages.

In theory, it should not be ever happening unless you punch in "make debfile" or "make deb". Unfortunately I messed up.

Issue is somewhere in gnustep-make package, in Master/deb.make. See the following lines:

ifeq ($(DEB_BUILD_DEPENDS),)
  DEB_BUILD_DEPENDS =gnustep-make (>= $(shell dpkg -s gnustep-make | grep 'Version: ' | sed 's/Version: //'))
  export DEB_BUILD_DEPENDS
else
  DEB_BUILD_DEPENDS +=, gnustep-make (>=  $(shell dpkg -s gnustep-make | grep 'Version: ' | sed 's/Version: //'))
  export DEB_BUILD_DEPENDS
endif
I can't immediately fix this (not in my Ubuntu environment), could someone else take a look?

Ideally we'd only calculate this if the user is actively requesting a build for Debian, but that's slightly harder to figure out than it should be. GNU Make is making that hard and we'll end up with some code duplication.

The variable will right now be needed for the _debenv target (which is used to export all Make variables for use by the environment, which by itself breaks gnustep-make, so we must export them separately and ensure they're *only* visible to bake_debian_files.sh).

Since _debenv target is only processed when 'make debfiles' is executed, the immediate fix is just to move the processing of DEB_BUILD_DEPENDS directly before commend "# Export all variables...".

In case noone gets around this, I'll mark this email unread and starred. In case I don't get around this, ping me.

Really sorry for this.