Odp: Re: GNUstep on Android

From: Enry the Ermit
Subject: Odp: Re: GNUstep on Android
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 22:00:18 +0200

I made a start on a macos brew script based on yours. You can fetch it here :

https://github.com/enrytheermit/gnustep/tree/master/gnustep-android

Regards,

Enry

Dnia Poniedziałek, 31 Marca 2014 16:26 Mathias Bauer <mathias_bauer@gmx.net> napisał(a)

Hi Ivan,

first of all, thanks for sharing your work. I think I understand what

you did, nevertheless following your instructions with just two changes

(see below), I get an error at the very last step that until now I don't

understand (mainly because I don't see where it comes from).

Am 30.03.14 23:58, schrieb Ivan Vučica:

> On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 10:50 PM, Mathias Bauer <mathias_bauer@gmx.net

> <mailto:mathias_bauer@gmx.net>> wrote:

>     Currently I'm trying to convince the "configure" of gnustep base to use

>     the Android toolchain and find the freshly built libobjc2 for linking.

> This *should* work out of the box on a clean Ubuntu 12.04 machine:

> https://bitbucket.org/ivucica/gnustep-android

> I don't know how well it'll work on a non-clean machine, and you should

> definitely open the scripts and see what they're doing. For example, you

> may want to modify them to avoid downloading another copy of Android SDK

> and NDK (which is, IIRC, what these scripts will try to do).

I made two small changes: I added the following parameters to the

configure call of gnustep make:

--enable-objc-nonfragile-abi --with-layout=gnustep

and the following one to the configure call of gnustep base:

--disable-mixedabi

I don't know if they are still needed nowadays, but at least (especially

because of the old compiler used - clang 3.3) I wanted to make sure that

this won't create problems. Nevertheless the error in the last step

happened also when I omitted these changes.

I consider the results a bit "creepy", as "make install" will put

Android binaries to places where X86 binaries belong, but for the time

being I can ignore this. I assume that for a proper cross compiling we

need to set up a kind of "sysroot" where e.g. GNUstep and libobjc2 get

installed to and where other libraries can find them.

When I build gnustep base, it seems that the exception handling is not

detected properly:

> ../../Headers/Foundation/NSException.h:48:2: error: "gnustep-base is configured to use 'traditional' exceptions, but you are

>       building for 'native' exceptions."

> #error  "gnustep-base is configured to use 'traditional' exceptions, but you are building for 'native' exceptions."

Having a look into the configure output, I detected several scary

warnings, so all in all I don't think that this is usable now. I will

continue to investigate this.

Regards,

Mathias