Re: GWorkspace Filesystem browser shows empty entries for dirs with umla

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: GWorkspace Filesystem browser shows empty entries for dirs with umlauts
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 18:42:09 +0100

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:08 CET, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry for not replying eariler,
>

> Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday, October 3, 2013 17:24 CEST, "Sebastian Reitenbach"
> > <sebastia@l00-bugdead-prods.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I stumbled across this one on OpenBSD 5.2, with following set:
> >> $ set | grep -i LC
> >> LC_ALL=en_EN.UTF-8
> >> LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
> >> $ set | grep ENCOD
> >> GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING=NSUTF8StringEncoding
> >>

> >> In a directory I have directories with umlauts in it:
> >>
> >> for example:
> >> $ cd /tmp/
> >> $ mkdir test
> >> $ cd test
> >> $ mkdir blah blech blubb blöbb
> > ^^
> > that was done in an xterm.
> >
> > but for example in other places I have a directory
> > that was extracted from a zip file
> >
> > $ ls Koelsch/
> > K??lsch - 1977 (2013)
> >
> > which is shown right in the GWorkspace filesystem
> > browser as Kölsch ...
>
> for some reason then if the files comes from ZIP it is consistent with
> GWorkspace, but if you name it in xtem, then it apparenlty has a
> different locale than GWorkspace? Your locales are set reasonably at a
> first glance.
>
> The first thing would be to see what NSFileManager reports in a NSString
> for your two names.

Before digging into NSFileManager, I tried to reproduce it on a OpenBSD 5.5
box, but I was unable to do so. On my desktop, I still can reproduce it, but
that's
an much older box, only running current GNUstep stuff.
There I recognized a difference, in XTERM_LOCALE is set to C on that older
box, but on the newer one, where its all OK, XTERM_LOCALE is en_EN.UTF-8.

So it works on something current, I would not consider this an issue to me, and
therefore as fixed.

cheers,
Sebastian