Re: Problem with catching exceptions on ARM

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Problem with catching exceptions on ARM
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 17:33:08 +0000

On 20 Feb 2014, at 17:27, Mathias Bauer <mathias_bauer@gmx.net> wrote:

> The call to _Unwind_Resume_or_Rethrow(e) does not return.

That's not a bad thing.  _Unwind_Resume_or_Rethrow() is only supposed to return
in error conditions.

> I tested, that a simple @try/@catch works (an exception thrown in a function
> called from the @try block is caught successfully and the program exits
> normally). But throwing another exception in the function that caught the
> exception freezes the program again. It doesn't matter if the second
> exception is thrown inside the @catch block or outside of it.

Hmm, do you know which exception ABI you're using?  Can you make sure that
you're compiling with -fobjc-runtime=gnustep-1.7 so that we're using the code
that emits calls to the functions on entry to and exit from catch blocks?  With
the old ABI there may be some bugs related to exception lifetime (there are
also bugs in that the old ABI is impossible to implement correctly).

David