Re: Request for update and/or release of GDL2 and Renaissance

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: Request for update and/or release of GDL2 and Renaissance
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 19:47:06 +0100

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 17:08 CET, Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:

> Am 30.01.2014 15:08, schrieb Sebastian Reitenbach:
> > OpenBSD packages are using something very similar to the FHS layout
> > and it works great.
>
> To all I can see, what GNUstep calls a "FHS layout" is just stuffing
> frameworks into /usr/lib instead of /Library and similar. Bundle-type
> layout is kept, just placed slightly elsewhere.

Name it as you like, I call it like a "compromise", which works well
for me and OpenBSD packages. And besides the bundles and
Frameworks, its nearly FHS. I don't know if you have found the
fs layout file already, but its part of the make port, the file can
be found here [1]. Since FHS doesn't has a meaning
on OpenBSD at all, I also have no real reason even trying to adhe to it ;)
For me, man 7 hier [2] is more important.
Maybe its worth for you to take a look at the altlinux GNUstep RPMs that
you can find here [3]. I cannot really figure out what filesystem layout they
are using there, therefore CC'ing the maintainer, or at least one of them.

[1]
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/x11/gnustep/make/files/openbsd?rev=1.2;content-type=text%2Fplain
[2]
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=hier&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html
[3]
http://packages.altlinux.org/en/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&branch=Sisyphus&query=gnustep

For the case the FHS layout is too much of a pain, does
Debian/Ubuntu allows similar compromises like I did for OpenBSD?

cheers,
Sebastian