Re: Request for update and/or release of GDL2 and Renaissance

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Request for update and/or release of GDL2 and Renaissance
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:47:24 +0100

Am 30.01.2014 00:00, schrieb Tito Mari Francis Escaño:
> I've been watching this project since 1990s and wonder why there hasn't
> been a release of more up-to-date packages

Some of the reasons:

- GNUstep puts much emphasis on manual installation.

- It isn't really packageable, because GNUstep insists on a
framework/bundle centric installation, while about all non-Mac-OS-X
unices insist on a FHS-type file layout.

- Attempts to improve the latter regularly result in bitter fights and
long flame wars.

- Quite a number of smaller issues with the build system add on top of
the latter two.

- The possibility to install GNUstep apps without changing the entire
desktop is almost ignored, which results in close to zero users.

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter