Re: Up-to-date GNUStep core now available as Debian/Ubuntu packages

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: Up-to-date GNUStep core now available as Debian/Ubuntu packages
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 19:59:15 +0100

On Wed, Jan 01, 2014 at 01:05:06PM +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:

> Given the resounding silence from Gregory, Richard and Adam, one can
> probably forget about moving such an effort to one of the FSF servers,
> so this one is very welcome. Not only for building the packages, also
> for making sure this can be done remotely in a comfortable fashion.
>
> Bandwidth isn't much of an issue, the biggest package so far is -base
> with about 5MB upload.

Great. The machine is running ubuntu 12.04 64 bits if it matters.

> > Are you interested in the debian/ directories of the packages I built
> > ? Here's the list :
>
> Looks impressive! Can I invite you to join packaging? Then you can apply
> them yourselfs with not more effort than sending them to me.

Recently I haven't had time to work on the packages so I can't promise
anything but I'll be glad to help where/when I can.

> How did you solve the conflict between Debian packagers naming their
> second instance of the libobjc package for gcc "libobjc2" and the
> like-named, real libobjc2?

I just called libojc2's package libojcgs, not a great name but it does
the job. I recently configured it to replace libobjc{234} so that old
packages are removed.

Note : I tried to update the packages last week and faced a problem I
haven't solved : all frameworks fail to link because libobj2 isn't
listed. I'll try to take a look tonight.

> What about ABI compatibility? Is this an issue? I see Donovan and Gürkan
> named the packages for -base and -gui with a version number, like
> "gnustep-gui0.24" This way one can install both, gnustep-gui0.22 and
> gnustep-gui0.24, in parallel. Is this neccessary? Does it even work to
> run two installations of GNUstep in parallel? For now I removed this
> version number in the package name, not sure wether this was a good idea.

I kept debian version numbering but I don't really see the point. I
guess removing the version number from the package name is a good move.

> I hope I can soon use clang and libobjc2 for their non-fragile ABI. Do
> these need a differently named package for parallel installation? I
> guess not, because non-fragile claims to be compatible with fragile, but
> I'm not sure.

Sorry, no idea here. I had a lot of trouble compiling anything when 2
libobjc where present on a system, event if it's supposed to work so I
chose the safe and easy way : install only one :o)

Let me work a bit on my stuff and I'll send you what I have working.
You can send me a ssh key so I can configure ssh access.

Thanks,
Philippe
--
L'ennemi est bête : il croit que c'est nous l'ennemi alors que c'est lui !
Pierre Desproges