Re: GNUstep BUFFER OVERFLOWS

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep BUFFER OVERFLOWS
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 13:42:22 +0100

On 29.12.2013 12:47, a b wrote:
>> Does this happen with your "Own" test app only? or also when starting
>> Gorm or PojectCenter?
>
>         I am trying to become familiar with GNUstep;  it is a test app only.
>         If GNUstep is already installed, I don't see any problem.
>
>> If you just compile and run it inside ProjectCenter, does it happen?
>>
>         If GNUstep is already installed, I don't see any problem.
>         In my opinion, buffer overflow is unusual.   That is why I am asking.
>
>> Where/how do you see these buffer overflows?
>>
>          The overflows were captured using the SysInternals Process Monitor
> tool
>          made available by Microsoft.  Start the process monitor, then set
> the filter
>          to ignore all the normal background processes.  Start the
> application, the
>          monitor will capture all the activity related to the application.

Why didn't you say so before? Getting buffer overflows in that situation
seems to be quite common and harmless. See for example:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2005/05/17/buffer-overflows.aspx

or

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2005/06/04/buffer-overflows-in-regmon-traces.aspx

Nothing to worry about, just something you have to live with if you
really want to use Windows and look under the hood as well.

Hope this helps,
Fred