GNUstep BUFFER OVERFLOWS

From: a b
Subject: GNUstep BUFFER OVERFLOWS
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 00:51:56 -0500

As part of my evaluation of GNUstep in order to decide if it would
be a worthwhile tool for my own use, I have been attempting to follow
the document listed in reference #1.  I have successfully used
ProjectCenter and Gorm to create a useless GUI application for testing
purposes which does nothing other than display a GUI window.
While attempting to package the application as standalone I have observed
some odd behavior.

There are several instances where the application
causes a BUFFER OVERFLOW, as follows:

1)    BUFFER OVERFLOW on QueryInformationVolume for the local harddisk when
             the application starts

2)    BUFFER OVERFLOW (Length = 144)       for keys
            HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\WinSock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9
                      \Catalog_Entries\00000000000x\PackedCatalogItem
       ALL of these keys, where x = 0 to MAX_ENTRY

3)    BUFFER TOO SMALL  when accessing key
             HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones

Since I am new to GNUstep I need to ask if this might be caused by the environment
not being set up correctly (GNUstep not installed, or not installed properly?).  This
behavior is occuring under Win7.  I find this behavior odd since buffer overflows are
not considered to be a good thing on the Windows platform.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

**** reference #1