Re: Building GNUstep from source

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Building GNUstep from source
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 15:59:47 +0000

On 22 Dec 2013, at 15:47, Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:

> Following recent discussions I wanted to give providing PPA packages for
> Debian/Ubuntu a try. For a start, I use build instructions from the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_SVN_Installation_Guide
>
> The process stops very early:
>
> $ git svn clone http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/modules/core
> Initialized empty Git repository in /home/mah/core/.git/
> [...]
> Checked out HEAD:
>  http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/modules/core r31521
> mah@piccard:~$ cd core/make
> bash: cd: core/make: No such file or directory
>
> Of course I could try to find a way myself, instead I've logged in to
> the wiki for collecting updated instructions here, then fixing this page
> (to my surprise, the account existed already, must be from earlier years).
>
> What would be the right thing to check out? core/make, core/base,
> core/gui separately? Which backend comes closest for Debian/Ubuntu
> running Gnome/Unity/DBUS menus?

The wiki page you quote seems to be correct .... if you use the instructions
there to check out core from subversion it looks finel.  A subversion checkout
of 'core' will get you what you need (make, base, gui, back).

I guess your problem is that you ignored the svn checkout command and tried to
use git instead ... and I'm afraid I have no idea how to use git, but you will
need at least the core stuff ... make, base, gui, back.  If you want to use
objc2 then you'll need to get clang and libobjc2 separately, but otherwise
things should work with the standard debain gcc/objc packages.

I'd guess you want the cairo backend.