Building GNUstep from source

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Building GNUstep from source
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 16:47:31 +0100

Following recent discussions I wanted to give providing PPA packages for
Debian/Ubuntu a try. For a start, I use build instructions from the wiki:

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_SVN_Installation_Guide

The process stops very early:

$ git svn clone http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/modules/core
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/mah/core/.git/
[...]
Checked out HEAD:
  http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/modules/core r31521
mah@piccard:~$ cd core/make
bash: cd: core/make: No such file or directory

Of course I could try to find a way myself, instead I've logged in to
the wiki for collecting updated instructions here, then fixing this page
(to my surprise, the account existed already, must be from earlier years).

What would be the right thing to check out? core/make, core/base,
core/gui separately? Which backend comes closest for Debian/Ubuntu
running Gnome/Unity/DBUS menus?

Thanks,
Markus

--