Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 17:41:40 -0600

In article <mailman.9812.1387554695.10748.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:

> Am 20.12.2013 um 16:30 schrieb Graham Lee:
>
> > On 20 Dec 2013, at 15:14, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com>
> > wrote:

> >> [Š]

> >> ++
> >
> > And here.
>
> BTW: although this looks like an opinion poll as the subject is indicating,
> we are doing an opinion statement here, trying to convince others. But
> usually only 3 or 4 statements like ours appear and then it is neither clear
> if this is a majority opinion and the discussion goes into another direction.
> And the 3 or 4 statements are lost and no action is taken.
>
> A better opinion poll would  run for let's say 4 weeks, be prominently
> announced (so that it is not embedded in a long discussion) and ask e.g.:
>
> Which source code repository would you like to use for GNUstep:

Of course, I would argue that what really matters is the pre-question:

Do you think differences in source code managers are really the
fundamental problem that GNUstep most needs to address?

I think I've used them all since CVS, and messed with manually shipping
around tarballs and using diff before that.  But, abstractly, they all
accomplish the same thing for me and I care very little about which
particular one gets used.  More meaningful to me is the organizational
structure that is in place *first*, which some SCM might be more aligned
to than others.

Same for the original poll questions.  The nature of them is not the
yes/no of it, but the desire to get at and solve the root problem, and
from that we derive the most workable solution.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, theremailer.net,