Re: This thing we called GNUstep (Re: Kickstarter was not successful...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: This thing we called GNUstep (Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 16:53:25 -0500

Pirmin,

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Pirmin Braun <pb@intars.de> wrote:
Am Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:41:41 -0600
schrieb Doc O'Leary <droleary@7usenet2013.subsume.com> :

> I would go farther and say a complete rebranding is in order.  For the
> vast majority of people, OpenStep no longer has meaning, making the
> current naming of GNUstep a bit cumbersome to explain.

today you'd better name it GNUcoa :-)
the message is: if you're an Apple programmer, then GNUcoa makes you a Linux/BSD programmer with no additional effort.
Just in case you have to do some serious server programming and you're not in this Java thing and you don't want to do hardcore C/C++ programming, ObjectivC is the choice.

I don't think we had better name it GNUCoa. :)  I think, if a name change is in order something better than that would be needed.   GNUstep's name is meaningful to those of us who have been around for a while, but it, unfortunately, harkens back to a time which is long since dead.   A name change might help, but then again it may have no effect at all.

What is more effective is to change GNUstep's look so that it appeals to a wider audience, but that's just my opinion.

--
Pirmin Braun - IntarS Unternehmenssoftware GmbH - Am Hofbräuhaus 1 - 96450 Coburg
+49 2642 40526292 +49 174 9747584 - skype:pirminb www.intars.de  pb@intars.de

Gregory Casamento
(240)274-9630 (Cell)
http://www.gnustep.org