Re: GWorkspace Segfault

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GWorkspace Segfault
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 12:41:25 +0100

On 23.11.2013 23:09, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> On 11/20/13 23:31, edwin ancaer wrote:
>> Riccardo,
>>
>> I downloaded and installed the latest version (37839), and  he
>> segfault has gone, GWorkspace is starting fine now.
>>
> That's good news, the immediate problem is solved and it is not just a
> hack, it was a good patch.
>> Now I'll have a closer look at how it's working.
>>
>> Can I help with any other information for the problem?
>>
> Well, the original problem is solved, I was waiting for Fred to give us
> further information, perhaps the "fix" should be extended.

Oops, I wasn't aware of that. Yes of course, there is more to remove.
All that similar code in FSNTextCell that is never used. And in
FSNBrowserCell the fontAttr variable is a static although it is used by
different cells which might have different fonts. Obviously this isn't
going to work. I think it should just be a local variable in the
cuttitle method.

I also don't quite see why the cuttitle method gets cached. This just
obscures the code and doesn't speed up much.
This method also doesn't take into account the paragraph style (writing
direction and alignment). You would need something like NSCells
_nonAutoreleasedTypingAttributes method for this, but this isn't public
and doesn't exist on Cocoa.

Don't get me started on code reviewing these classes. You could get back
a lot more input than you could handle :-)