Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 18:52:03 +0100

Hi Doc,

On 11/22/13 19:39, Doc O'Leary wrote:

About the lack of a VM image, you (and others) have been pointed to
I don't recall being pointed to anything.  More importantly, you should
be pointing *me* to anything, you should be pointing *everyone* who
visits gnustep.org to the best-practices the community can offer.  Right
now, it is very much the message of "here's the tech; you figure it
out", exactly the kind of poor experience that turns people off from
open software.
If you have asked, I0d have surely pointed you there.
However I conducted a very scientific experiment. I typed "gnustep vm" in the search engines I use most, bing first, google second.

Guess what? Richard's work pops up as first hit.

This is quite good, this is how most people look for things, since it is much faster than wading through a website. Wow, it took me about 1 second to find that information.

However to *act* after your *critic* I just gave it a more prominent place on the GS website, direclty in the download page, replacing the T2 project entry which looks quite dead and outdated to me and thus doesn't deserve priority space.
But don't spread negativity.
Do you want things to get better or not?  If so, you need to stop
looking to silence those who point out what is wrong.  I am a scientist.
Criticism is inherent to what we do.  Sentiments such as yours are
embarrassingly juvenile.
Criticism is good. But constant bashing is not. If a people just continuously complain, there is nothing that will improve. Actually, it will give a bad impression to other people listening (or reading). There must be balance.
Action does things. Actions are patches, commits, new ideas, bug reports.
Action is also talking well of gnustep, showing the positive sides. Writing on facebook, on blogs, showing progress. Report success stories. People searching for gnustep will find these and be tickled, not scared away.
There is more than just "the official GS site", the web moved forward.

Riccardo