Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 09:24:38 +0100

Hi,

Am 18.11.2013 um 22:08 schrieb Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf:

> Am 11.09.2013 um 18:58 schrieb Gregory Casamento:
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I wanted to share that the kickstarter will most likely fail to get funding
>> at this point, but all isn't lost.
>
> We could possibly learn a lot from this project which was successfully funded
> on kickstarter:
>
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2017062404/b-go-beyond
>
> - professionally done
> - staggered pledges
> - lots of information
> - appealing layout
> - creates confidence by presenting a realistic schedule

Well, I have participated in two self-organised fundraising campaigns (the
latest one
is still running: www.neo900.org), and from that experience I think the factors
you
mention are important, but not the most important ones.

IMHO most important is to have access to an already big community which
expresses
a clear need for something that you want to and can fulfill. E.g. if everyone
is talking about
smartwatches you are likely to be successful by offering one. If everyone is
talking
about 3D printers you are likely to be successful by offering one.

Even Kickstarter recommends to send prospective pledgers from the existing
networks
to the platform. I.e. the platform is more or less a payment processing tool.
And not a
solution to missing attractiveness to some target group.

So the most important aspect is to offer something so great that people feel
urgent
demand. And they trust that you can do it. Then, it does not matter which
fundraising
platform is used. Can even be your own.

BR,
Nikolaus