Re: NSRunLoop with ARC

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: NSRunLoop with ARC
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:37:14 +0100

Hi,

Banlu pointed me at this question from someone (you?) on Stack Overflow today.
The short version: it's a bug, it's fixed in svn, and it's in -base, so update
-base and this code should work again.

The long version:

The cause of the bug was the NSFileHandle method that is supposed to return a
singleton instance for standard input.  There was a memory management bug in
this code.  The singleton was assigned to a global, autoreleased, and returned.
 It was not retained before assigning it to the global (which didn't look like
it was required, because it was just created with +alloc, but that code didn't
know that the there was another autorelease in the calling method).

With non-ARC code, this rarely matters.  If you retain the result, it will
exist you release it (and, as long as at least one object always holds a
reference to it, the singleton instance stays valid).  Similarly, in simple
test cases like yours, the top-level autorelease pool holds the reference to it
until program access.

This shows up with ARC, because ARC introduced a mechanism for popping the top
object from the autorelease pool.  This meant that, as soon as you'd called the
waitForDataInBackgroundAndNotify method on the file handle, it was deallocated,
even though it is a singleton that should not be deallocated just because you
stop holding a reference to it.

I have now fixed the NSFileHandle bug (and added a non-ARC test case to the
test suite that triggers it).

David