Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-09-27

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-09-27
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 00:54:00 +0200

Hi,

Germán Arias wrote:
El jue, 03-10-2013 a las 11:56 -0700, Gabriel Sulliger escribió:
Nice what you did. I love the goals of the Hurd, and with the latest Debian
Hurd 2013 release, I think that the Hurd is going better each day. So you
updated packages for i386 and AMD64 processors architectures and what about
trying to port GNUSTEP as the first Hurd GUI? Because I heard that Gnome and
KDE don't works. If GNUSTEP can live upon the Hurd servers, it would be a big
step done for the Hurd project and a GNEWSTEP (;-P) in the GNUSTEP adventure.
As I saw at the bottom of your mails, you have french sentences. Est-ce que le
français est votre langue maternelle? (Is french your mother tongue?)
In case it is, I can explain my idea more clearly to your because I'm still at
school and I have only forty-five minutes of English each week (not enough!).

If you think it's a very bad idea, just ignore it.

In 2009 Riccardo post this:

http://multixden.blogspot.com/2009/02/browser-on-hurd.html

So I think is possible have GNUstep in HURD.
it is/was posisble. After this article, GNUstep got unreliable gain. I regularly tested on HURD; but there were certain bugs causing crashes (hurd related) as other build problems. When finally most were solved, the HDD of my hurd machine started to have problems I hope to fix it soon, but there are so many other things I want to sort out before and which I am unable to, tha tit got a bit low priority. Also, installing today arequires a lot of RAM which I don't have, apparenlty.

Compared to other libraries and kits, GNUstep works quite well on HURD! few patches were needed, if at all. Once GNUstep runs, most applications compiled out-of-the box except some bad programmiung pratices, which, if the app was on my control, I fixed.

So yes, GNU emacs, GNU compiler, GNUstep, GNU/Hurd over GNU Mach is potentially feasible :)

Riccardo