Re: Themes (again)

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: Themes (again)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 16:50:27 -0600

Hi David,

On 2013-09-26, at 4:47 AM, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

Hi,

I recently gave a little demo of an app that I'd written for exploring debugging stream traces for our processor, and one of the comments was 'Oh, you wrote it using TK?'.  I'd like to take some screenshots and also record a video of the demo I gave at FOSDEM, but I don't want people to be put off by the applications looking ugly.

So, my question is: do we have a single theme that works, is complete, and doesn't look like a throwback to the early '90s?

I don't think so, unfortunately.

In Étoilé we have:

- Nesedah, where we spent a lot of effort getting the mockups right but then hit problems with how GNUstep handles frames and borders and couldn't implement it correctly

Was this problem just that our widgets need to have the same metrics as OSX's, if we want to be able to display Cocoa nibs and have them look the same as on OS X?

I just did a quick comparison of https://github.com/ericwa/TextEdit and indeed our buttons are much larger than on OS X; screenshots attached.

- Narcissus, which looks okay except when you have a table view (because the headers are white on light grey).  I'd fix this if the theme support were documented sufficiently well for me to be able to work out how…

I just committed some tweaks to Narcissus.

As a temporary fix for the white-on-grey table headers, I used the dark grey browser header for table headers. Hopefully it's not too ugly. (AFAIK Jesse never mocked up how table headers should look; the only Narcissus mockups I'm aware of are these:

It turns out that both table headers and browser headers use [NSColor windowFrameTextColor].  (Table headers because it's set to that at NSTableHeaderCell.m:43, browser headers because GSBrowserTitleCell is a subclass of NSTableHeaderCell). We should probably add  new colors to gui for table header text and browser header text.

The Narcissus scrollers are a bit better now, but we need to add to gui the ability to set a pressed state for the up/down/left/right buttons.

A couple of other things that need to be done in gui:
- -[NSButtonCell isOpaque] is incorrectly returning YES even if the theme draws something transparent
- with narcissus you can see various places where widgets are drawn at non-integer coordinates, and are blurry

Cheers,
Eric