Re: Themes (again)

From: Germán Arias
Subject: Re: Themes (again)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:28:23 -0600

On 2013-09-27 03:12:54 -0600 David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

Thanks.  There are a few issues here:

1) The scroll bar buttons still look ugly. This seems to be common in all GNUstep themes, so maybe it's an issue with -gui?

Can you provide an screenshot about what you have in mind?

2) With the Mac menu style, the top levels stick out over the top of the menu bar, and when I mouse over the top menu item in a drop-down menu the entire menu moves down one or two pixels.

According with my experience, the window maneger moves the menu when
this is in a wrong position. But I think this could be fixed easily. I will look into
this later.

3) I think that buttons are the same size as with the default theme, but due to the fact that they're lighter at the bottom, they look bigger. I've seen this with other themes as well.

I think the same, but not sure how correct this.

Not specifically related to Silver, but the behaviour I want from scrollers is both buttons at one end and for clicking outside of the scroll handle to be a page scroll. I have several complaints here:

1) The magic NSUserDefaults that configure this behaviour don't seem to be documented anywhere. I vaguely remember a web page existed that contained this documentation, but the only reference to these values I found in the source tree was in the code and no search engine I tried could find any docs. What is the difference meant to be between NSScrollViewInterfaceStyle and NSScrollerInterfaceStyle

NSScrollViewInterfaceStyle is to set the position of scrollbar, left or right. NSScrollerInterfaceStyle is to set the postion of arrow. If NSWindow95InterfaceStyle, this
are located at opposite ends.

2) These two things seem to be conflated. I can either have scroll-by-page and buttons at the ends, or I can have scroll-to-point and buttons at one end.

3) These are all set by defining the defaults values to things like NSNextStepInterfaceStyle, NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle, or NSWindows95InterfaceStyle. Do we actually expect users to know what NeXTStep or Windows 95 did? These names make some sense for global settings of the form 'make my UI like this OS' (although perhaps some slightly more modern ones wouldn't go amiss...), but making users map from their desired behaviour to an OS that has that behaviour for each element doesn't make sense at all.