Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 16:54:19 +0200

Hi,

On 09/12/13 10:20, David Chisnall wrote:
On 11 Sep 2013, at 17:58, Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

2) I should have been more realistic in my goals on the kickstarter.  We are,
honestly around 10.3 in some APIs, 10.4 in others and 10.7 in others.  An
honest assessment of our states on a class by class, method by method level is
what's really needed.
I believe that 'compatibility with OS X 10.x' as a goal is fundamentally
flawed, for three reasons:

First, we're only claiming compatibility for a small number of frameworks.  If
an application needs QTKit or AVFoundation or whatever from one of these
releases, we won't have it.  The claim of '10.x compatibility' will be taken as
meaning that any code that works on that version of OS X will work with
GNUstep, and that's not feasible (even for 10.1, because code that old likely
uses a load of Carbon cruft).

Second, no applications actually use all of the APIs in a particular release.
A better approach would be to find some open source OS X-only applications that
only work with OS X 10.x or later and ensure that we have all of the APIs that
they need.  This gives the same PR benefits ('FooApp requires OS X 10.x, but
runs fine on *BSD/Linux'), and means that the new APIs that we implement get
immediate testing.
Exactly my take. I have discussed this off-list several times. Claiming compatibility with a certain version is flawed because:
1) it sets an extremely high bar
2) it is difficult to measure: if something is implemented but doesn't work accordingly or incomplete? 3) it sets expectation about other frameworks (Core*, WebKit, ical and whatever else) which go beyond Foundation and Appkit. Which is fine, I don't say we should have some of those, but linking them together is too much 4) It means always "following behind". At first it looks as a nice marketing hype, but it is counter-productive 5) it makes a bad figure if you lack certain little used method or method which are just convenience.. because you can't say you are complete. Also, the other way around... you may seem like "90%" and then.. you miss NSTextTable or another big class in the last 5%... 6) it makes a very cocoa/apple oriented impression (but this is just my opinion).

I would prefer to have "we have the APIs to have application X work".
We should also approach companies like Omni Group and ask them if they can
provide a list of APIs that they need to port their products, and if they would
be willing to match funding.  We could almost certainly provide them with an
automated tool that they can run on their codebase that would give them a
pretty clear idea of the OS X APIs that they use.  Actually, providing such a
tool with the ability to produce a report against the current version of
GNUstep showing what is missing would be very helpful for a lot of projects.
In some cases, it might be possible to meet half way and say 'well, this API
isn't really core functionality, so we could make it optional, and if GNUstep
provides these ones then we get a Linux port...'
That is a very interesting part. It could be also accompanied with a "porting guide" for things known to be different outside of Mac.

I don't have exact proposals right now, but I would prefer smaller, precise goals at the beginning... thus mor similar to GSOC. Essentially you could take then these specifications give them to a programmer and have an estiamte of the cost.
people came to the mailing list asking about applications

For AppKit:
- Implement NSTextTable (very helpful for SWK)
- complete Printing enough so that application X, Y, Z work as on the mac (where the apps currently are simple OpenSource apps like Graphos, LaternaMagica and PRICE, of course if we have bigger apps on the porting front, then fine) - extend & implement feature X in the windows theme (not just "finish it, but a set of precise things make real native menus - improve theming to support feature X or Y (e.g. horizontal menus, theming of decorations...)
- many others

Outside AppKit, I could think of precise goals that could be interesting,even app related
- port Emacs to GNUstep
- make an Xcode chain
- make ProjectCenter and Gorm work on windows
- extend SWK to the point where a precise set of pages can be displayed (e.g. reference documentation or gnustep Wiki) - implement a preference pane for SystemPreferences to manage feature X on operating systems at least W, X, Y (e.g. displays, wireless interfaces, on Linux, BSD, etc)

I would refrain from something like "make FlexiSheet work" (I got this request off-list recently, showing that there is really a different set of goals). FlexiSheet is buggy and incomplete to start with. Maybe we can make GNustep good enough that it works on Mac, but waht if you encounter bug compatibilities? or even more bad bugs in FS of which there is full? You could reach the goal, but the "customer" might not be that happy, needing to fix, enhance both FS as AppKit.

I just came with a short list, things could be bundled together, split... I was just making examples of the kind of things I have in mind.

Riccardo