Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Germán Arias
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:19:47 -0600

On 2013-09-11 10:58:53 -0600 Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I wanted to share that the kickstarter will most likely fail to get funding
> at this point, but all isn't lost.
>
> There were a number of fundamental things that I learned from doing this:
>
> 1) Marketing ourselves correctly is extremely important...  attracting
> people to help us make the project better is key to making GNUstep better
> for everyone
>
> 2) I should have been more realistic in my goals on the kickstarter.  We
> are, honestly around 10.3 in some APIs, 10.4 in others and 10.7 in others.
> An honest assessment of our states on a class by class, method by method
> level is what's really needed.
>
> 3) The period of the kickstarter should have been longer and the goal
> should probably have been around 20K instead of 50K.
>
> The benefits of the campaign have been:
>
> 1) It has raised awareness of the project
>
> 2) It has let everyone know that we are still alive and that we are
> following cocoa and we are both a development environment and an
> environment which will allow porting.
>
> 3) It has brought us potential contributors whom I will contact ASAP.
>
> So, in any case, I am certain that doing the kickstarter was the right
> thing to do.  As I said at it's beginning, whether it's successful or not
> it's effects in the first couple of days made it very clear that the net
> effect was a positive one.
>
> I will need the help of the team to decide what the next campaign should be
> aimed at and how best to go about that.   I will send another email later
> to follow up on this.  In the interim, if anyone has any ideas about how we
> could make it better, please reply here. :)

I still think that request a fundraising campaign at FSF, is a good idea.
Currently Replicant has its campaign, see:

https://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-launches-fundraising-program-for-replicant-the-fully-free-android-based-mobile-os

Some months ago GNU MediaGoblin raises more than 60,000 dollars.
I don't saying that GNUstep can attempt this amount. But, could help.

Germán.