Re: problem with inline functions in gsweb and clang

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: problem with inline functions in gsweb and clang
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 00:32:56 +0200

Hi,

On 05/27/13 23:05, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
What's wrong with it?
It comes from the OpenBSD linker, and there are even more, for example:

clang-3: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-shared-libgcc'
/usr/local/lib/libgnustep-base.so.6.0: warning: strcpy() is almost always
misused, please use strlcpy()
/usr/local/lib/libgnustep-base.so.6.0: warning: sprintf() is often misused,
please use snprintf()
/usr/local/lib/libicui18n.so.6.0: warning: strcat() is almost always misused,
please use strlcat()
/usr/local/lib/libungif.so.5.4: warning: vsprintf() is often misused, please
use vsnprintf()
/usr/local/lib/libgcrypt.so.18.0: warning: stpcpy() is dangerous GNU crap;
don't use it

the linker emits those warnings, when it finds symbols for those functions in a
program or library.

the ones in libgnustep-base, can be get rid of, just follow the advice give.
Other softwares, have to be fixed on their own.
If we use it properly, there is absolutely no problem in using strcpy() or such just to abide the tastes of OpenBSD's linker. Didn't check the code in our case. I'm generally against using strlcpy, it really depends on the code, but often it will just make it slower or apparently "safe".

About stpcpy I don't know, never used it myself

Riccardo