How to reconnect to a new X Server

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: How to reconnect to a new X Server
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 11:34:30 +0200

Hi,

working with Riccardo on GAPs loginpanel, made some progress, but ran into
trouble now.

What I do is starting the X Server, before I then start the loginpanel
application.
Then the loginpanel actually has an X server running, where it can connect to.

So far, that works well. I can login. When I logout, then I am killing the X
server, and
want to restart it, and spawn the loginpanel again.

First I tried in loginpanels main function:

   while (1)
     {
       [XManager startXServer];
       putenv("DISPLAY=:0.0");

       NSApplicationMain(argc, argv);

     }

That probably was too naive from me thinking it might work ;) Reading up
NSApplication
documentation, I see that everything after NSApplicationMain(argc, argv); will
not be
exectuted, so the while loop will only runs once :(

Anyways, then I tried to start the XServer again, after I teared it down.
That works so far, but when the loginpanel wants to reset its window on the X
server,
I see it crying on the console, that the connection to the XServer broke:

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Even if there is a new server spawned already on the same display.

Is there a way to tell the application that the X Server disappeared, and it
should reconnect to the new one? Or tell it to kind of respawn itself?

cheers,
Sebastian