Re: New OS to use gnustep!

From: Lundberg, Johannes
Subject: Re: New OS to use gnustep!
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 10:24:47 +0900

Hi

Thank you very much for the positive replies.

I'd love to participate in the next meeting. I will make sure I can be there in person.

Regarding which libraries we need. Since we making a completely new device with new input systems we were also thinking about creating a new UI API from scratch but that is still under consideration.

Currently we are extending NSWIndow, NSView, etc for our "AppKit". Since GNUstep is GPL we have to consider which parts we can implement into GNUstep and keep open and which parts we keep proprietary. Of course, we want to contribute as much as we can to GNUstep.

For the demo apps we did for MWC I tried using both CG and CA libraries (opal) available but performance was too poor so I ended up using AppKit (NSView, NSBezierPath and so on) with cairo as backend. I tried activating cairo's OpenGL backend support but without success so we used X as backend for cairo.

At this time we are running our system on an Intel based laptop but the goal is to run on a small ARM-based device so OpenGL ES is the way to go. Core GL implementation is also interesting.

Thanks again!

Johannes