Re: Ghack - GNUstep roguelike

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Ghack - GNUstep roguelike
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 18:43:10 +0100

Hi,
nice project!

Am 18.02.2013 um 20:16 schrieb elvish.healer@gmail.com:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on Ghack, a roguelike game. It will be based on nethack. The
> project is hosted here : https://code.google.com/p/ghack
>
> I do not know if I will finish it.

Please do!

> There's a small map and first room generation code, a window and some moving.
> Most things use xpm imagebuffer parts.
>
> The graphics are tiles of 16x16.
>
> Enjoy, for those who find this useful.

I have tried the latest git clone to adapt it for OS X and QuantumSTEP.
I get a first window popping up but then it fails with an undefined selector
(see 3).

Some observations so far:

1. the code uses [[NSMutableString new] initWithString:@"..."]

This fails on OSX, because +new already calls -init and returns some NSCFString
subclass that does not understand -initWithString. Please use [NSMutableString
alloc] initWithString:...

2. OS X and QantumSTEP don't have the PS() operator functions

I have added some macros to my code to build an NSBezierPath and fill/stroke it.

3. there is no [con getSymbolData] method in drawRogueCharacter

Shouldn't that be getCharacterXpmData?

4. the code uses strndup() which is a GNU/Linux extension not available
everywhere

I have added the code from
http://opensource.apple.com/source/gcc/gcc-5575.11/libiberty/strndup.c

5. the GhackInfo.plist is missing some or using different keys for OS X (icon
file, executable)

BR and please continue the good work!

 -- hns

PNG image