Re: Strange behaviour regarding miniaturization and menus

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour regarding miniaturization and menus
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 21:54:41 +0100

On 19.02.2013 02:05, Germán A. Arias wrote:
El lun, 18-02-2013 a las 11:57 +0100, Andreas Schik escribió:
I have some news on this problem.
It has nothing to do with the kind of application that is being
minimized, be it a GNUstep app or anything else. The only invariant is,
that I have a GNUstep app (Terminal, CDPlayer, SystemPreferences etc.)
which has the input focus. If I now minimize any other application
without giving this application the focus, first, The GNUstep app
breaks. The menu disappears and all panels which have the 'hide on
deactivate' flag set.
This behaviour does not occur in a WindowMaker session nor in a 'normal'
Ubuntu session (GNOME/Unity?), but only in xfce4. None of the focus
related settings of xfce has any influence on that behaviour. However,
if I switch off the compositor, the area where the menu was is no longer
transparent, but black.

I can reproduce the problem now. For some reason gnustep remove from the
screen the menu and panels of the app with the focus, even when you has
been minimized a window in other app. And there is no way to get back
these.

The only reason for this strange behaviour that I can think of is that XFCE4 and GNUstep disagree on the handling of focus events. It would help to get a full list of the events that show up during that problem. It is easy to get this events displayed on the prompt when you start up the GNUstep application with the additional argument --GNU-Debug=NSEvent This will result in a lot of output, please only forward the ones that happen just around the minimalization of the other application.