Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-01-25

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-01-25
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 19:22:33 +0100

Hello Philippe,

I'm on Precise, and have (I believe) cleaned away the "from-source" install -- at least to the best of my ability. Which means I've finally tried the packages while being reasonably confident there isn't interference from the "Clang + objc2 + development code" build. :-)

So, now that I hopefully have a system to test on, I've tried building QuartzCore's Demo and Tests folders (the code that I'm personally most attached to :-)).

Demo crashes inside Opal, in TIFFSetDirectory(). Tests can't even be built -- and frankly I haven't ever seen this type of error, nor can I interpret it:
ivucica@ivucica-MacBook:~/gnustep-quartzcore-hgsvn/Tests$ make
This is gnustep-make 2.6.2. Type 'make print-gnustep-make-help' for help.
Making all for tool hello_opal...
 Linking tool hello_opal ...
/usr/bin/ld: ./obj/hello_opal.obj/hello_opal.m.o: undefined reference to symbol 'cairo_image_surface_create'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'cairo_image_surface_create' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.6/../../../i386-linux-gnu/libcairo.so so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.6/../../../i386-linux-gnu/libcairo.so: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [obj/hello_opal] Error 1
make[2]: *** [internal-tool-all_] Error 2
make[1]: *** [hello_opal.all.tool.variables] Error 2
make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

So I'm primarily interested in whether or not things in these folders work for you; that is, should I be digging around fixing my system and the code, or is something botched with the packages?

Out of curiosity, to check whether I'm really seeing something bad on my system, I've also installed the textedit.app package, and it runs alright.

Anyway, thanks for all the work on providing up-to-date packages! :-)