Re: URGENT: Unable to run PROJECTCenter

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: URGENT: Unable to run PROJECTCenter
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 15:26:20 +0200

Hi,

krishna parthasarathy wrote:
Actually what we are trying is to develop a application which can run on
MAC&  windows ... a email notifier kind..... is it possible?

it is something like this when we get a new msg we need popup msgs on click
it needs to go into details... Our users will or 2 OS ( MAC&  windows.)

we thought GNUStep would be a good option since it can run on MAC&
windows..

Please let me know if this is feasible ...

I absolutely think it is feasible and GNUstep will help you in 95% of the code. GNUstep on Windows can do much (you can check success stories on my blog for example or ask Greg and others about it) however it is not as refined as Linux so running the developer tools themselves is sometimes problematic. You will essentially get a Linux/BSD version of your software "for free". The 5% of code that remains less portable is if you want to make your application interact with environment specific things (like if you want to display Dock menus under mac for notifications, windows system tray stuff and details about the user interface).

Lately I am developing, for example, a tool that runs on mac, linux and windows. To make the windows version quickly, I just compile the sources with a single "make" command and a shell script will make me a big self-contained package which is easy to move to computers to test. Not the best thing for end-user deployment (for which an installer like you experienced for Gorm or ProjectCenter is more windows-friendly) but very convenient. Actual development in my case is done on Linux, but I don't have any windows-specific code.

Riccardo