Re: libobjc2 message-to-nil inconsistency

From: Jens Alfke
Subject: Re: libobjc2 message-to-nil inconsistency
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 12:24:11 -0700

On May 8, 2012, at 12:19 PM, David Chisnall wrote:

Please update, this was fixed last week,

OK, will do; I haven’t updated in a while.

although the old behaviour is still consistent with OS X (return results greater than the size of a pointer are undefined).

I am pretty sure that’s not true anymore, although I am not sure whether I read so in the Apple docs or in comments by Apple runtime engineers on their mailing lists (I have a feeling Greg Parker has brought this up.)

I can say that the exact code I posted before works reliably in 32-bit processes in OS X 10.7 and iOS 5. That’s why I’m only running into this now — I haven’t had any trouble with 64-bit return values until trying to run my code on GNUstep.

—Jens