Compiling GNUStep on MAC OSX

From: Omar Campos
Subject: Compiling GNUStep on MAC OSX
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 22:34:48 -0430

Hi all,

I wanted to get a working version of GNUStep working under Max OS X Snow Leopard, but I was unable to install using MacPorts (kept getting strange error messages), and told to check "the log" (unfortunately, I don't know where it is).  So I decided to compile my own.  I was able to install the libtiff and libjpg dependencies (I compiled libpng, but "make install" does nothing for it).  Anyway, I am able to run the make script for gnustep-startup but I keep getting this error:

onfigure: error: Your compiler does not appear to implement the -fconstant-string-class option needed for support of strings.  Please check for a more recent version or consider using --enable-nxconstantstring

Unfortunately, I don't know where I should specify the --enable-nxconstantstring! I tried doing:

sudo make --enable-nxconstantstring

but I got nothing.

Can someone please tell me what I am missing?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
Omar