Re: Question about object initialization and autorelease

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Question about object initialization and autorelease
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 16:14:04 +0100

On 31 Mar 2012, at 16:35, Ivan Vučica wrote:

> I was burned once when using a garbage collector. ARC reminds me too much of
> a garbage collector.

ARC is very different from a garbage collector.  For one thing, it is
deterministic.  Retains and releases still happen in the same order and at the
same times, you just don't have to think about them.  It isn't doing anything
magic, it's just doing (a more efficient implementation of) the same thing that
you do with manual retain and release messages.  Oh, and you get zeroing weak
references too.

I'd really suggest that you reconsider.  Since starting using ARC in Étoilé
code I've been working on has become both simpler and faster.

Perhaps more importantly, in ARC mode we finally have a memory model that
actually makes sense for Objective-C.

David

--
This email complies with ISO 3103