Re: Help - Clang can't find <objc/objc.h> on Ubuntu

From: Jens Alfke
Subject: Re: Help - Clang can't find <objc/objc.h> on Ubuntu
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:01:59 -0800

On Feb 25, 2012, at 9:48 AM, Niels Grewe wrote:

Please be aware that the package called libobjc2 in Debian / Ubuntu is not libobjc2.  Debian people seem to like giving packages random names.

Well, not completely random. The package names are suffixed with the
soname version. So if they ever package the GNUstep runtime, they'd ship
it as libobjc4. (But yes, it's a pretty annoying policy)

Ah. Thanks, guys! I had already noticed there was a “libobjc3” and wondered if that was an even newer hotness :)

This might be worth calling out in the installation instructions at gnustep.org. In general, I didn’t have an easy time tracking down all the info there; it’s scattered between the static site and the wiki, and there are some obsolete bits, like a link to a seven-year-old blog post about installing GNUstep on Ubuntu.

—Jens