Re: Voting: do you want to move to git?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Voting: do you want to move to git?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:42:40 +0000

On 14 Feb 2012, at 17:47, Gregory Casamento wrote:

> It's not really fair to say this is the only reason.
>
> One of the interesting things about DVCS systems is that they allow
> easy forking and branching.   It would be interesting to see how
> GNUstep would fare on github with a lot of people potentially pushing
> things back into GNUstep's repo.
>
> At this point, whatever we as a community choose to do (whether it's
> SVN or something else), I think we should have an "official" presence
> on github even if it's just a mirror.

That sounds reasonable to me ...

My 'vote' as the sensible thing to do for GNUstep

1. move back to savannah just to be on the main gnu system again.
2. use  Hg as the primary system and make sure it's sync'ed to at least one
other site to we can work if one site goes down.
3. by all means mirror to github and bitbucket

And now some crazy throwing ideas in the air .,,,
I like the sound of fossil ... I wonder if we can play with that too.
Is it madness to think about the possibility of automatic syncing back and
forth between mercurial and fossil? Does one have to be 'master', or can we do
two-way syncs? Maybe we could have:
official mercurial repository on savannah
git and svn mirrors ...  so people can download the code using the system of
their choice
fossil for experimentation ... to see if we'd rather use that in practice if we
liked it then we might move over to it at some point.