Re: Voting: do you want to move to git?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Voting: do you want to move to git?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:53:02 +0100

Hi,

On 02/13/12 20:45, Amr Aboelela wrote:
Why don't we make voting about moving to git?

Do you want to move to git?

Pls answer yes or no.

My answer is: YES
Well, but sharply, my answer is NO.

O prefer a trusted, portable version control and not entangle in some sort of featuritis war.

However, we still need a way to solve the current impasse. Personally I'dtake the occasion to move back to savannah, which would consolidate our "gnu.org" status, keep SVN but flatten out our structure. I never liked us being on gna, so even less on github. Otherwise an alternative is sourceforge: I have PRICE's CVS there since 9 years and never had failure, they have real sysadmins I guess...

We need to wait for gna.org to come back up (it still isn't) and also see in which state the repository is. Our history is a valuable thing (which we should try to keep if we migrate). Lat time savannah of nongnu failed, the CVS repo was a mess!

Riccardo