Tracking changes in the filesystem

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Tracking changes in the filesystem
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:28:05 +0100

Hi all,

my tool needs to get aware of any changes in the file system under a given
directory (e.g. /home), for example if

• a new file is created in /home/tommy/Documents
• a file is removed anywhere below /home
• a file /home/herbert/test.conf gets modified
• ...

I think I have once seen some method of NSFileManager or NSWorkspace that does
exactly that, but I don't know this for sure and I can't find anything suitable
in the class references.

Any idea?

I could for sure iterate through the dir with contentsOfDirectoryAtPath: and
compare the size and attributes of any file with log entries, but this seems
rather cumbersome! :-(

Hints greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

 Andreas