Re: ANN: DataBasin 0.4

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ANN: DataBasin 0.4
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 20:10:20 -0500

    For example, SugarForge (http://www.sugarforge.org/) is a directory of
    all kinds of SugarCRM-related software. Not all of it is open
    source/free, but at least you can filter out non-free licenses.

This sounds like an example of a problem frequently caused by the idea
of "open source".  People develop a program that in itself is free,
but maintain a list of extensions which include nonfree programs.

The result is that if we recommend that free program to the public,
we are indirectly recommending the nonfree extensions too.

We had to make our own list of Firefox extensions because Mozilla's
list includes nonfree ones.  We started our own list of extensions for
OpenOffice, but fortunately the LibreOffice fork was started and they
adopted our list.  Because (as you can tell from the name they chose)
they endorse the free software movement, not open source.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation