Re: building a self-contained deployable gnustep [cont]

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: building a self-contained deployable gnustep [cont]
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 07:45:35 +0100

Ot the 13th I wrote:

> The GNUstep.sh script will do that for you as long as you have the
> GNUSTEP_CONFIG_FILE environment variable set to point to your GNUstep.conf
> (if you don't define the environment variable, GNUstep.sh will look for
> GNUsterp.conf in the default location).

It sounds like you forgot to set the GNUSTEP_CONFIG_FILE environment variable.

However, all you should really need to launch an app is to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
... since the rest of the variables set up by GNUstep.sh are only used when
*building* apps.

> should i just forget about sourcing GNUstep.sh and try to set environment
> variables like GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT myself from my launcher script?

You don't need to set them at all ...unless you need your app to use
gnustep-make to build other code (something I've occasionally done, but I know
is extremely rare).

I don't know if you read the documentation about making relocatable packages,
or just if it was too unclear and/or depends too much on familiarity with other
parts of the documentation.
It seems clear to me (and I know at least one person has used it to do
relocatable packages on mswindows without raising major issues)... but then, I
wrote a big chunk of the code and the documentation 9and the people using it
may have had big problems why simply didn't tell me about), so it's impossible
for me to judge.

Anyway, I've just spent some time trying to make things simpler by providing
templates for standalone deployment (will probably need further tweaking, and I
haven't documented it yet though) ...

I haven't tried it with gui apps, but just as a test (using the 'defaults'
command line tool) I did ...

cd make
./configure --with-layout=standalone
make install
. ~/standalone/Makefile/GNUstep.sh
cd ../base
./configure --with-config-file=./ --with-default-config=standalone.conf
make install

mv ~/standalone /tmp/x
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/x
/tmp/x/defaults read