Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us al

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us all...
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 09:40:41 +0100

It would be nice if we could link to (or host) some of the videos of Steve Jobs
demoing the NeXT stuff (NeXTSTEP, OPENSTEP, PDO, WebObjects).  All of these
demos show just how far ahead NeXT was.  I just watched the one about the
design of the DMA architecture on the NeXT workstation - it looks crazy today
because he's talking about stuff that everyone does as if it's new and
exciting.  Then you realise that the reason that he's having to explain in so
much detail is that this really is a new concept for anything smaller than a
mainframe - PCs and workstations are all doing it now, but they weren't back
then.

Many of the presentations have the same quality.  You watch them and think
'well, of course - why would you do it any other way?'  Then you remember that
the rest of the industry at the time was doing it another way.

David