Re: Cross-compiling GNUstep?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling GNUstep?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:58:06 +0200

On 27.09.2011 20:09, David Chisnall wrote:
HP has kindly sent me a TouchPad to play with, so I wanted to run
GNUstep on it.   I've managed to get clang to use their cross-build
toolchain, but I'm having problems with the configure script for
-base.  It just aborts if you're cross compiling.

Am I the first person to try cross-compiling GNUstep?  I was fairly
sure Nikolaus had done this before.  Is there an easy way to tell the
configure thing 'really, I know what I'm doing, just trust me...' and
have it assume that the test programs will work?  I can always tweak
configure options until they actually later...

Nikolaus Schaller isn't using GNUstep itself. He has his own fork mySTEP and to my knowledge he uses XCode to do the compilation for the different environments. As he only needs to support a few well controlled target systems, he gets along without all these compilcated configure scripts we are using. I tried myself to cross compile GNUstep ages ago and failed. One problem was that gnustep-make was using the terms host/build/target in a different order than the cross compilation standard. No idea whether Nicola fixed that. I agree with Richard that it is probably best to just generate the results of autoconf in a different way and use these then. I created them manually at that time. It would help to document what gets changed by the configure step.