Re: GNUStep Documentation– General Improvements

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUStep Documentation– General Improvements
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 22:56:53 +0200

Hi
1. The first of which is that in order to find the pages containing the
information generated by autogsdoc one has to scoure the site, even though
reference documentation should be easy to find.  A link to the reference
documentation shouuld appear on the main page instead of a link on a page
form the sidebar at the bottom on the wiki page.
I agree that better links would be good from the website/wiki ... but bear in
mind that you are talking about developer api documentation here ... the reader
is normally expected to have this documentation locally on their own machine.

Two clicks from the main page is not *that* bad for a developer reference. I end up bookmarking it anyway...

2. GNUStep uses it's own proprietary documentation genrator
Actually, it's a non-proprietory, open format and *free* tool usable by anyone,
but it was designed for ObjC/GNustep.

exactly. it is open as other generators too, it just didn't spread as others because it is geared to obj-c and our own needs.

I do use it to document several (obj-c) projects easily. Definitively not closed.
when perfectly
good Objective-C document generators such as Doxygene are available,
But they weren't when the original markup language was designed (1997).  I
think the gnustep documentation markup language pre-dates Doxygen, and while I
agree that Doxygen's presentation is now much better, the autogsdoc stuff still
has advantages (not least of which is the fact that you can install gnustep and
generate the documentation without needing an external package).

Not a small disadvantage.
and
also produce less bland more readably, clean and easily navigatable
documentation.  These doccument generators also have multiple output
formats.
autogsdoc is designed that way too (a big part of the reason the original
markup language was done as xml was to facilitate the use of technologies like
xslt to produce different output formats) ... but nobody's bothered to
implement concrete formats.
It would be good to improve this (or adopt some format like Doxygen, if someone
would volunteer to change all the source/headers/makefiles and add any missing
features to Doxygen).

I like its current frame-based HTML output quite a bit. it is easily browseable. Writing a TEX backend would be nice, to eventually create a printable (and/or PDF) reference to the APIs, but our descriptions are anyway not yet that good to make it interesting
3.  Required delegate methods should be indicated by differently colored
headers and anchor links.
I'm not sure about that (generally I dislike a proliferation of different link
colors), but it might be worth doing something to identify delegate methods.

Well, they could be marked / grouped... put in italic style or be referenced at the top in a list... just throwing in some ideas.

Riccardo