Re: GSIMap and OpenBSD (Was: Re: GSIMap and gcc 2.95)

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GSIMap and OpenBSD (Was: Re: GSIMap and gcc 2.95)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 22:31:12 +0100

On 16 Aug 2011, at 20:38, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I forgot to mention that it was OpenBSD/sparc
>
> On my OpenBSD/x86 computer however I get the same problem and it has gcc 4.2
>
> Thus it appears to be an OpenBSD problem? I reconfigured and made clean. I
> don't see any apparent OS difference there.

This may be an OpenBSD libc problem.  Can you check how NULL is defined?  I
fixed a bug in FreeBSD libc a couple of years back that would cause this, and
they may have inherited the same bug from some common ancestor.  In C, the
definition of NULL is usually (void*)0, but in C++ it is supposed to be 0
(except that 0 is an int so on LP64 this causes stack smashing on variadic
functions, but I digress), and it's possible that they just #define it to 0 for
C and C++.  GCC provides a builtin __null which works better - it's a special
literal that is a 0 value in any pointer type.

If you replace the NULL with (void*)0 in GSIMap.h, does that fix it?

David