Re: New -base release?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: New -base release?
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 23:05:34 +0100

On 2 Aug 2011, at 09:44, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> you don't seem to get the point. I don't have to tell you that a change the
> contains the word "fix" is just as likely to break something as if it doesn't
> contain that word.
> And even if these fixes where 100% correct, we still need to make sure that
> none of the other changes has any effect outside the proper target
> environment.

I agree.

> I would suggest that we start a code freeze for GNUstep base on the next
> weekend. This gives people some time (although rather little) to push in
> features that they really want to see in the next release.
> Then we have two weeks of code freeze during which only changes to the test
> are allowed, plus bug fixes that are supported by tests. NO new features
> during that time, not even tiny ones.
> After that a release would be fine for me.

Sounds good to me.

> Could we agree on that schedule? I will try to get some response from Richard
> on this.
>
> As tests go, I just run the base tests and had quite a few failing for me:
>
>   6248 Passed tests
>     13 Dashed hopes
>      8 Skipped sets
>      5 Failed tests
>      2 Failed files
>      1 Failed build
>
> I would prefer to see skipped tests and dashed hopes here.  A failing test
> always should mean that my system is broken and unusable in some sense, for
> example because my objc runtime isn't thread safe. But I don't want to see a
> failed test because I don't have ICU installed. In that case we should report
> a skipped test. Of course this will mean that some features of GNUstep base
> aren't available on my system, but basically GNUstep is still usable.
> The failed tests are:
> base/NSMapTable/weak.m
> base/NSHashTable/weak.m

These are expected failures - the tests are actually wrong (I based them on
common sense, not on the crazy things that OS X actually does) and I need to
revert some things.

> base/NSString/regex.m

It should be relatively easy to turn this one into a dashed hope - I'll fix
these three tomorrow.  As with the rest of the NSRegularExpression tests, it
depends on ICU, so we should be skipping it for you.

> base/NSJSONSerialization/json.m
>
> I will look into the last one that fails to compile without C99 and add an
> autorelease pool to the regex test. Could you please make the first three
> tests dashed hopes?

Will do.

David

-- Sent from my STANTEC-ZEBRA