Re: UIKit

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: UIKit
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:45:03 +0100

On 28 Jun 2011, at 05:30, Amr Aboelela wrote:

> So later you guys are going to use Chameleon framework as a start to build
> your own UIKit framework?

There may be some code in Chameleon that is useful, but I'm not certain, and
the FSF's copyright assignment requirement would be problematic if we did
incorporate any.

> what about QuantumStep is it related to building the UIKit also?

As far as I know, QuantumStep doesn't have a UIKit implementation.  It uses
AppKit on mobile devices.

> what do u mean by the missing part of CoreAnimation, is CoreAnimation only in
> UIKit and not AppKit?
> and isn't it implemented in the Chameleon implementation?

CoreAnimation is used by both AppKit on OS X and UIKit on iOS, however AppKit
predates CoreAnimation by about 15 years so can be used quite happily without
it.  UIKit, in contrast, was designed with CoreAnimation in mind and makes
(very) heavy use of layers and transitions.  CoreAnimation is nice to have with
AppKit, but is pretty much essential with UIKit.

David

-- Send from my Jacquard Loom