Re: Please test pending bugfix release of base -- problem with gnustep-b

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: Please test pending bugfix release of base -- problem with gnustep-base configure
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 12:36:31 +0200

Hi,

on sparc, I use gcc-2.95, configure stops here:
checking for Sleep... no
checking whether objc really works... no
I don't seem to be able to use your Objective-C compiler to produce
working binaries!  Please check your Objective-C compiler installation.
If you are using gcc-3.x make sure that your compiler's libgcc_s and libobjc
can be found by the dynamic linker - usually that requires you to play
with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf.
Please refer to your compiler installation instructions for more help.
configure: error: The Objective-C compiler does not work or is not installed
properly.

I have libobjc1 headers installed in /usr/local/include/gnustep/objc, and I use
the CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include/gnustep to allow it to find the headers.
However, the corresponding library file is installed as
/usr/local/lib/libgobjc.so.0.0, but configure tries to link against libobjc,
here the relevant output from config.log:

configure:12567: checking whether objc really works
configure:12597: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/local/include  -fgnu-runtime -x objective-c  -L/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/
usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c  -lpthread -lobjc     >&5
In file included from config/config.objc.m:2,
                 from conftest.c:95:
config/objc-common.g:22: warning: Cannot find interface declaration for
`NXConstantString'
config/objc-common.g: In function `+[NSObject new]':
config/objc-common.g:44: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer
without a cast
/usr/local/lib/libobjc.so.2.0: warning: strcpy() is almost always misused,
please use strlcpy()
/usr/local/lib/libobjc.so.2.0: warning: sprintf() is often misused, please use
snprintf()
configure:12601: $? = 0
configure:12607: ./conftest
objc runtime: cannot find class Object
Abort trap (core dumped)
configure:12611: $? = 134
configure: program exited with status 134

In configure I see the following how is decided what to use -lobjc:

#--------------------------------------------------------------------
# Set Apple/Darwin/OSX/NeXT information for other tests
#--------------------------------------------------------------------
OBJC_WITH_GC=no
OBJC_RUNTIME_LIB=`echo $LIBRARY_COMBO | tr '-' ' ' | awk '{print $1}'`
{ $as_echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking the Objective-C runtime" >&5
$as_echo_n "checking the Objective-C runtime... " >&6; }
if test "$OBJC_RUNTIME_LIB" = "nx" -o "$OBJC_RUNTIME_LIB" = "apple"; then
  { $as_echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: NeXT" >&5
$as_echo "NeXT" >&6; }
  LIBOBJC='-lobjc'
  OBJCFLAGS="$OBJCFLAGS -fnext-runtime -DNeXT_RUNTIME"
elif test "$OBJC_RUNTIME_LIB" = "gnugc"; then
  { $as_echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: GNU" >&5
$as_echo "GNU" >&6; }
  LIBOBJC='-lobjc_gc -ldl -lgc'
  OBJCFLAGS="$OBJCFLAGS -fgnu-runtime"
  OBJC_WITH_GC=yes
else
  { $as_echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: GNU" >&5
$as_echo "GNU" >&6; }
  LIBOBJC='-lobjc'
  OBJCFLAGS="$OBJCFLAGS -fgnu-runtime"
fi

GNUstep make is configured with the parameter:
--with-objc-lib-flag=-lgobjc

and also in /usr/local/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/config.make I see:
OBJC_LIB_FLAG = -lgobjc
CPPFLAGS = -I/usr/local/include/gnustep

WHEN I add CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include/gnustep LDFLAGS="-lgobjc -pthread" to
the configure environment, then I get around the problem.
Afterwards, running gmake and gmake install, it just takes those values defined
in the gnustep make environment.

Don't know why I didn't ran into it before, but wouldn't it make sense that
configure would recognize and use the stuff configured in gnustep-make the same
when when later compiling using gmake?

Sebastian