Re: UIKit

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: UIKit
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 11:51:39 +0200

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:35, Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:16, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

I wouldn't say that Chameleon went wrong, it just doesn't have the same goals as a GNUstep UIKit implementation.  Chameleon's goal is to allow you to embed iOS applications in OS X applications.  A UIKit implementation for GNUstep would have the goal of running iOS applications on other platforms.

This difference means that there are some design choices that I wouldn't want to make the same way as Chameleon.  In particular, their event model is - by necessity - layered on top of AppKit's model, while UIKit has a much richer model for gestures and multitouch events, which most iOS code uses.

Then I'm all for implementing UIKit. I wanted to do something like that -- I have UIKit-heavy code that would be interesting to see on platforms such as N900 or even Android, but you probably don't really want me to start working on anything _very_ important related to this (including CoreAnimation). Most of all because I tend to take long breaks between working on stuff, and because it would probably be somewhat sloppy and miss some important detail in the base of the subsystem :)

By the way, did you intentionally drop the list address from the 'To' field? If not, please forward my reply to the list.
--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net

...just posting the off-list  discussion

--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net